Wednesday, December 26, 2018

2018 review and 2019 planning

2019 Planning Linky Party Quilting Jet Girl is having a planning linky party.
My 2018 list was:
1. Dragon Fly Baby Quilt (I'm still working on this one)


2. Miscellaneous Panels (did a couple, but still have more to go)

3. Patches for Randy's Quilt (Never even touched this one)

4. Pixie Garden (Never even touched this one)
5. Map of Texas (Never even touched this one)
6. Ann's Mystery Star(Never even touched this one)
7. Fall Panels(Never even touched this one)
8. Christmas Squares from Carol(Used these in a small quilt)
9. Tie Quilt (I made a small wall hanging and still have ties left)
10. Liberty Blocks (Finished this one)
11. Mira Red Hat Purse (Never even touched this one)
12. Fall Miscellaneous Blocks (I'm still working on this one)


I look at the lists of quilts I've done for others, 36 (2 more than last year) of them.
It sometimes amazes me to think that I've used my long arm that much.

QOV #18
QOV #19
Texas A&M T-shirt quilt
Lana cardinal quilt
Sandy baby quilt
Marilyn's Quilt
QOV #20
Tammy Cross quilt
Tammy baby quilt
CIL #9
Lisa T-shirt quilt
Clemens T-shirt quilt
Lana patriotic
CIL #10
Lana Envelope Quilt
Lana Rose Quilt
Lana Star
QOV #21
QOV #22
QOV #23
QOV #24
Tammy Quilt
Tammy Quilt
CIL #11
CIL #12
Lana horse quilt
Lana quillow
Lana charity quilt
Bobbi Cherry Blossom quilt
CIL #13
Guild #1
Guild #2
Guild #3
Guild #4
CIL #14
Tammy's Owl Quilt
I do not have a business, so it is really just for friends and charity.
I'm glad I can use the long arm to help others.
I know I'll quilt for Quilts of Valor, Covered In Love and the New Braunfels Area Quilt Guild charities in 2019.


I've quilted my own quilts too, to the order of 23 (8 less than last year) of them.
Winter Solstice
Fall Table Runner
Imperfect Squares
Happiness is Quilting
Alphabet Quilt
Irish Stars - green
Irish Stars - purple
Irish Stars - blue
Fiesta
Irish Stars - small
Fall Quilt
State Quilt
Bread and Butter Flag
Bulls Eye Quilt
Squirrel quilt
Fall Border quilt
APFOM
Hummingbird
Pillow Shams
Sparkling Sampler
TQPM Tangerine Kiss
Windowsill Wonder
Gray Cancer Quilt
I love the long arm because it allows me to finish more than on my little machine.
I feel very blessed to continue to work on my own stuff.
I enjoy testing for The Quilt Pattern Magazine.
Many of these are gifts or UFOs.
Seems like I have quilted more for others than myself.
I think in 2019 I need to fix that. :)


I joined in with Judy at Patchwork Times on her Get It Done to work on UFOs.
the premise was to move a UFO forward.
I didn't count it if I had not finished it, because I focus on the finish.
I only finished 4 on my list this year

Jan #10. Winter Solstice
Dec 2. Borachio
June 6. Embroidery blocks
October 9. Miscellaneous Fall Blocks

I didn't finish these

February 1. Ann’s 2009 NYE Mystery
March 8. Jo’s club retreat teal and brown
April 5. Copper and teal quilt


May 12. Tie One On
July 11. Under the Sea Quilt
August 3. Chicken makings
September 4. Color guard pillows
November - 7. Home in the Middle
I'm not sure why I was not finishing them this year, but will still work on some in 2019
As long as I don't stress over not finishing everything, I'll be fine.


My 2019 list is:

1. #36 Fall Miscellaneous Blocks 
2. #71 Miscellaneous Patriotic blocks 
3. #83 Patriotic pieces
4. #110 Tie One On quilt
5. #24 Courthouse Step panel
6. #52 Hawaiian applique Pillow
7. #33 Equessence T-shirt quilt
8. #66 Mini Scrap Basket
9. #13 Christmas embroidery
10. #78 Orphan Blocks
11. #68 Miscellaneous block pieces
12. #88 Pink Horse Quilt
Some of these will be easy ones to accomplish. Others will take lots of time. I picked them randomly with a random number generator.

I keep track of how many blocks I make each month, and it is a fun project.
350 Block Challenge

January................... 54
February.................. 53
March.................... 147
April........................ 59
May......................... 37
June.......................... 5
July.......................... 18
August.................... 143
September................. 82
October.................... 236
November ............... 103
December .....................
That's 2002 blocks for the year, through November.
Not bad, but in reality many were done before, but counted when the project is complete.
I will probably continue on with this just because it is interesting to see how it changes month to month.



I joined in on the 6 & 6 challenge and did OK, but it is not one I'll be doing in 2019.

I didn't finish 4 of them
February 3. Hawaiian Applique
September 5. Harry Potter - A
November 6. Harry Potter - J
December - Dragon fly quilt
I did complete 4 if them.
I doubled up on some months because of not completing them.
January - new start - door hangers for DD dorm
April, March 1. Clemens T-shirt Quilt
May - Keyboard cover
August 2. Hummingbirds
June. 4. Sparkling Sampler

Scrap Attack was not all that successful. I found that I do better at organizing a bin when I am actually using from it.
I did not touch these
March 7. Green
May 5. Christmas
June 4. Yellow
July 2. Novelty
September #11 Black
October - catch up
November - white
1. Make String blocks to reduce overflow of bin



I finished organizing these bins of scraps
January 9.blue
February 12.purple


April 3. Brown
August 6. Orange

2018 Monthly Color Challenge Schedule was a bust. I didn't really work on the right colors during the month. Sometimes I made post cards from those colors and others not.


Jan 1st - Red

Feb 1st - Blue

March 1st - Yellow

April 1st - Orange
May 1st - Green
June 1st - Purple
July 1st - Yellow 
Aug 1st - Orange
Sept 1 - Red Violet
Oct 1 - Violet Blue
Nov 1 - Blue Green
Dec 1 - Black and White

I started an Organizational Challenge to help me focus on a certain area each week. I've only been doing it for about 3 months now, but it is making a difference.

1. Get 2017 files put away
2. Thread drawers
3. Flat surfaces around desk
4. Cutting and Pressing Table
5. Corner Cabinet
6. Take care of piles on floor and vacuum
7. Dust
8. Clean up the floors
9. Clean off Flat Surfaces
10. Look Up
11. Pick up piles on the floor
12. Vacuum and dust

I'm going to try Judy L of Patchwork Times 12 things in 2019 challenge.
It doesn't have to be only quilting.
So, my list is
1. Let Me Surprise you quilt
2. Scan Photos
3. Work on Baby clothing quilts
4. Harry Potter quilts
5. Digitize more items
6. Vacation quilt
7. Make Seasonal Wreaths for DD
8. Make some zippered pouches
9. Make coasters for seasons
10. applique Home in the Middle
11. Finish Hawaiian Applique
12. Crochet something

I think this might be fun and I get to pick what I'm working on.
I can work on more than one in a month if I want and just finish them in 2019.

When I look at my goals for 2018, this is the result
1. I will improve my health
I lost 20 pounds and really worked on my eating and water habits.
I still need to work on this, but am making progress.

2. I will become more organized.
I did get Mom and Dad's stuff organized.
I found out my ex passed away and I need to still get his stuff organized for my son.
I have gone through much of the stuff in the house, but still need to do it again. I really need to downsize more.

3. I will downsize.
I gave at least a box a month away to charity, sometime many more than that. I donated surplus girl scout items to other troops and i used 300 yards of fabric in the year.
This is an on-going process.

4. I will improve on a number of things. I did not use my featherweight, and still need to.
I have tried new patterns on the Long Arm. I have a new embroidery machine and have been learning all that it does. I have been digitizing and have a Wacom pad to work on this coming year. I have been working on not being in a hurry, so I can be accurate. I quilted as many Quilts of Valor they sent to me. I quilted for Covered in Love at about 2 a month. I am quilting 4 baby quilts a month for the guild. I did not work on my hand quilting because I had a thumb injury and I might never get good at hand quilting because of my thumb.

I decreased my stash by 300 yards. Some of that was donation and most of it I used. I did buy some, but the net usage was over 300 yards.  I used about 220 yards of fabric in quilted, I gave away more than 100 yards, I bought a little over 50 yards. The amount of perimeter I went from the quilts I made was over 23,000 inches. I quilt 85% of the days and 93% were spent organizing. I only did 29% on my special project, which was the baby clothing quilts. They are not easy for me to work on, but I want to get them done sooner than later.
I used over 154 yards of fabric in UFOs, which is about 70% of the fabric I used. I completed 44 UFOs and used 206 bobbins and 47 spools of thread. I don't even notice a dent in my threads, so I'm not sure how that could be. LOL


Overall, 2018 was a good year. I'm thankful I can do all that I'm doing to get my UFOs done and give to charity. i am going to continue with the UFOs and make the quilts the sizes needed for the charities. I'll be able to donate more that way.




No comments: