Saturday, December 30, 2017

Venting

I don't have a quilting business.
I have a long arm to work on my own quilts, charity quilts and sometimes when friends ask me to quilt one for them.
I will invite friends over to quilt their own quilts on my long arm.
So, I had a friend have a friend that needed a quilt quilted.
I never really had a great conversation with the quilter, just my friend.
The quilt came.
It had some problems with friendly borders.
The backing was pieced interestingly.
I loaded and quilted it to the best of my ability.
I send it back.
No response.
Finally asked and was told she is unstitching it.
That is a difficult job because of the pattern I used.
She wanted the backing centered vertically.
Not something I would do, because I don't really know how to make that happen.
Guess I should look up how to make that work.
So, she is unhappy and I'm sad because she is unhappy.
Just proves to me why I do not want to work on other people's quilts.
I think it is a lessons learned that unless I can talk to the person with the quilt, I won't be quilting it for anyone.

Off to work on my Stashbuster's UFO numbers and do some filing.

5 comments:

Kat said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that experience! They should have communicated their expectations better if they were going to be picky. You always do a fantastic job on my quilts.

Elle said...

If they did not communicate to you they have NO right to complain. She is very lucky you did it at all. It was VERY generous of you to quilt it for that person.

Take a deep breath and move on. NOT YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!

Pamela Arbour said...

It has been my experience that when people are paying for something like that, quite a few will find some way to be displeased to complain or actually get the quilting for free. I don't quilt for pay or for requests. Life is too short for that type of stuff. I am sorry it happened to you. I am sure you did your best.

WoolFan said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with this situation. I agree that if the quilt owner wasn't going to talk to you in person and had specific instructions she should have at least left a written note that included her telephone number. You did nothing wrong and I'm sure quilted the quilt beautifully. You can't always please certain people and some people are only happy if they are miserable. Please don't let this take away from the pleasure you experience when quilting. ~ Carol S.

Louise said...

Ugh! I'm sorry that happened to you! I think you're right to decide to only work on quilts after you've talked with the piecer. I can't imagine how hard it must be to quilt someone else's tops.