Thursday, October 25, 2018

Coaster tutorial

I was making Halloween coasters and thought I'd share the tutorial again.
The last share was with lots of other things, so....

Coasters
THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE

Supplies:
5 coordinating pieces of fabric
(I've also used all different fabrics or two or whatever I had on hand)
Batting
Cutting tools
Thread

Cutting Instructions:
Cut 5 - 4 ½  x 4 ½ inch squares of fabric
Cut 1 - 4 ½  x 4 ½ inch square of batting 



Pressing Instructions:

Fold 4 of the squares in half, wrong sides together and press
You will have your batting, a 4 ½ inch square for the backing and 4 rectangular pieces.



 Assembly Instructions:
1.     Place 4 ½  x 4 ½ inch square of batting on table 

  

2.  Place unfolded 4 ½  x 4 ½ inch square right side up on top of batting.    


3.    Lay remain 4 pieces (the folded ones), with raw edges towards the outside, and layer as if you were folding a box top to keep it shut.



 




Things to notice: When sewing you want to have the layer on the upper right to be the one on top. This allows you to sew without catching the folds.

4.    Stitch ¼ inch around the outside edges.
Make sure to catch all layers.

  


5.    Trim corners


6.    Turn 

This is what it looks like while turning.


After it is turned, it might need the corners pushed out. 

Don't use a sharp point, or you might go through the seam. 
I use a rounded chop stick.


Finished

 
 Use it as a coaster. 

it can be used for stemware too.



  

It is washable and is loved by everyone.

When I gave them away at the office to my staff, other employees would come to see if I had any left that they could buy.
I always made more to make sure I had extra to give away.
Great for scrap use if you are only making one or don't care if they match.