Thursday, November 8, 2018

How to make a sash


I've been asked about making the sashes that i did for Clemens High School Band.
So, here is my take at tutorial on making a sash.

There are many opportunities when making a sash is something that would be nice.
This one was for the seniors in my DD's High School Band.
They wear them for the Senior Night Game.
.
Measure the  Ribbon to be the size you want.
For the adults, I used around 24 inches.
You need two
We used 3" Grosgrain Ribbon
Take one piece and embroider what you want on the ribbon.
I would pin them in place and do 2-3 in one hooping.
The little SC is put on a pin is used to keep the sash in place and allow adjustment for size
For the shoulder part, I would line up the edge with a line on the mat and measure from the bottom left corner to 2 inches in from the upper left corner.
Cut that off.
Pay attention to the direction of the cut.
DO NOT cut the other piece at this time.
Lay right sides together.
Sew 1/4 inch from the cut diagonal edge.
I start from the widest spot towards the corner.
Trim less than 1/4 inch from that seam.
Open up the seam and finger press it with the seam towards the back of the sash (the part not embroidered).
It lays better this way.
Use a matching thread.
Top stitch next to the back side of seam.
For the bottom of the sashes, I used a pinking blade and trimmed by lining up the edge on the mat.
I lined the ruler up slanting from the bottom lower right to 3 inches in on the top.
Trim and you are done.
I stitched out the pins and made the around two inches square.
Then the self adhesive 1 inch pin backs were placed over the design.
Make sure to have them open to the bottom
These are 24 pins and 20 sashes.

No comments: