Saturday, April 12, 2014

My birthday block

Cutting:
Background
2 - 4 1/s” x 8 ½”
1 – 4 ½” x 4 ½”
1 – 5 x 5
Green
2 – 5 x 5
Flower
1 – 5 x5
2 – 2 ½” x 4 ½”

4 – 2 ½” x 2 1/2”
The cut out fabric looks like this.  I normally lay them out to see their placement.
Make Half Square Triangles (hst).  I drew a diagonal line on the Green.  Sew on both sides of the line. 
Cut on the drawn line. 
Trim to 4.5"
You will one use one of each pair.  Save the others for another project.  There are other ways to make hst and if this bothers you to have leftovers, then use one of the other ways.
Next make flying geese.
Draw a line on the 2 1/2" squares.  Lay on the background fabric as shown.
Make 2 flying geese. 
Trim the sewn line to 1/4" I keep the waste hst and sew off on them.  Then, I use them in other projects. 
This is what it looks like half done 
Lay thee other square as pictured and sew on the line.  Trim as above.  
This is your finished flying geese 
Make sure to lay them out and sew the pieces together.
I sewed the flying geese to the flower print first.
I then sewed the hst to the one part just finished.
Next was the flying geese part to the background part.
I sewed those two new parts together and then to the background piece.
Next I sewed the hst and background together.
Finally, sew that piece to the rest of the block.  
You have your final block.
This is for my Sampler Society birthday block quilt that each of us is picking a block that is posted on our birthday.  I've not had time to do any others, but want to make all of them.  I love all the blocks I've seen.


No comments: